Tempe residents are unlike those in any other city. Their passion and commitment to community shines through everything they do. Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell will honor this year’s standout neighbors and give his annual address at the 2016 State of the Neighborhoods Awards & Workshops on Saturday, April 16. This year’s awards nominees will be recognized for a range of activities from helping seniors to organizing neighborhood cleanups to cooking for homeless youth. The nominees also conveyed the importance of the arts and sustainability through property beautification efforts that are transforming Tempe neighborhoods.
Residents are invited to take part in this unique, kid-friendly community celebration and accompanying workshops including:
• Mayor Mitchell’s 2016 State of the Neighborhoods address
• Announcement of this year’s Neighborhood Awards winners: Neighbor of the Year and Property Beautification
• Free community workshops (running concurrently):
1. Character Area 3 Public Kickoff – Neighbors near ASU, Rio Salado, Tempe Town Lake and downtown Tempe can learn about the Character Area 3 process to create locally-tailored design and placemaking guidelines that reflect this unique area of the city.
2. Dementia Friendly Tempe: The Role of Neighborhoods – Find out what resources are available in Tempe and how neighborhoods can recognize people in need and take actionable steps to make a difference.
3. Keeping Neighborhoods Up to Code with New Initiatives – Learn how Code Compliance is transforming with the creation of new programs, the optimization of existing ones, and a focus on resident education that will empower the community.
4. Effective Legislative Advocacy for Your Community – Learn effective tactics and best practices to urge our state’s elected officials to support Tempe and your neighborhood.
Location and schedule
Date: Saturday, April 16, 8 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
Location: Tempe History Museum, 809 E. Southern Ave.
Schedule: 8-8:30 a.m. – Light breakfast and check-in
8:30-9:30 a.m. – State of the Neighborhoods address by Mayor Mitchell and Neighborhood Awards presentation by Mayor and Council
9:45-11:15 a.m. – Attend one of four concurrent workshops
Registration: Register by Wednesday, April 13 to reserve your spot. Register online at www.tempe.gov/stateoftheneighborhoods, by phone at 480.350.8234 or email [email protected]
Visit www.tempe.gov/stateoftheneighborhoods for more information on each of the workshops.