Tempe, Arizona & Mesa, Arizona
By Kristy Jozwiak
As baseball fever sweeps into the Valley, Tempe Marketplace is helping fans avoid transportation hassles of getting to and from games with FREE, first-come, first-serve round-trip trolley rides between the shopping center and Sloan Park, pre-season home of the Chicago Cubs, in Mesa.
Back by popular demand, Tempe Marketplace is giving baseball fans an alternative to battling traffic congestion and long line-ups into and out of the sporting facility for each of the Cubs’ 15 home games starting on March 4. Last year, the center shuttled 6,789 riders during the spring training season.
For home games beginning at 1:05 p.m., trolley service will start at 11 a.m. and run every half hour to and from the ballpark. For the 4:05 p.m. game on March 17, trolley service will begin at 2 p.m. Pick up locations at Tempe Marketplace will be by the Thirsty Lion and Kabuki.
Instead of having to wait in line, riders will be assigned a number to reserve their spot, allowing them to grab a pre-game bite or drink before heading to the park.
And the fun won’t end at the ballpark as Tempe Marketplace is offering special Show Your Stub deals to all baseball fans, whether they’re trolley riders or not. Throughout the season, fans showing their same-day, game day ticket stubs will have access to great discounts at a host of restaurants and stores, including:
• Amazing Lash Studios will provide 20 percent off your first full set of eyelash extensions.
• Bar Louie will provide 20 percent of your meal.
• Chipotle is giving peanuts and cracker jacks a run for their money by offering fans buy-one/get-one burritos, bowls, salads or orders of tacos from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on game day.
• Cold Stone Creamery will provide two “Love It” size ice creams with one mix-in for $7.
• Dave & Busters is giving fans a chance to spend their stay and extend their play with $20 in free game play with the purchase of $20 in game play.
• Dressbarn is offering 20 percent off any regularly-priced items to all game day attendees.
• Eclipse Eyewear will give 40 percent off an eyeglass and prescription lens purchases (must purchase both).
• Just Sports is offering 20 percent off one regular-priced item on game day.
• Kabuki Japanese Restaurant is giving 15 percent off checks to dine-in customers.
• King’s Fish House is hooking up baseball buffs with a complimentary appetizer.
• Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que is offering $5 off purchases of $20 or more.
• Mattress Firm is offering $100 off mattress sets of $699 or more.
• Mojo Yogurt is sweetening the deal with 25 percent off its entire selection of yogurt.
• Portillo’s is offering a buy one sandwich meal, and get one sandwich free.
• Slices Pizza is giving two gourmet pizza slices and 20 ounce drink for $6.99.
• Thirsty Lion Gastropub & Grill is offering 20 percent off your food bill.
Baseball fans can learn more about Tempe Marketplace’s trolley service and spring training specials by visiting tempemarketplace.com/trolley/ and tempemarketplace.com/playball/.
Free trolley service will begin with the Chicago Cubs’ first home game on March 4 to the Chicago Cubs’ last home game on March 30.
*Trolley service runs every half hour to and from the ballpark. Pick up locations are located by the Thirsty Lion and Kabuki at Tempe Marketplace.
Tempe Marketplace, 2000 E. Rio Salado Pkwy, Tempe, AZ
(Loops 101 and 202)