The right person for this job will have the ability to provide stellar customer service, solve problems and communicate effectively. They must be proficient in typing and keyboarding, as well as the use of computer applications like spreadsheets, database and word processing software within the Microsoft Office suite. Prospective candidates must also have good judgment skills, a positive attitude and dedication to teamwork and public service.
The library assistant will also need to demonstrate professional communication skills over the phone, online and in-person, as well as be able to provide relevant information about library services and resources. They will need to provide assistance to customers with computer related issues and help them with their overall library experience. This role will also include developing displays that promote new books and other library offerings in an attractive way.
Candidates that have completed post-secondary education in Library Science, English, Liberal Arts or other related fields would be ideal for this job. This role would strongly suit someone with experience working in a public library and with automation systems like Polaris ILS, as well as cash handling.
Please keep in mind that scheduling is varied depending on Branch needs, and this role may require evening, weekend and short notice availability. This role may involve some lifting, as well as issuing library cards to new customers, verifying and renewing cards, answering questions about account statuses, taking payment for fines and fees and providing receipts and processing library materials.
As posted on the official job listing, other responsibilities may include:
- Preparing daily cash summary and balancing cash drawer.
- Assists with programs as needed. Updates study room assignments and maintain library program registration.
- Collects statistics. Performs light cleaning duties, such as dusting, straightening, bathroom tidying.
- Assists with training new staff and volunteers. Performs opening/closing duties as assigned.
- Performs basic bibliographic searches utilizing the library automation system.
- Answers basic reference questions and/or directional questions from customers.
- Resolves customer concerns by phone, in person, or by e-mail/online.
- Refers customer concerns to the appropriate staff member or supervisor as necessary.
- Assists with maintenance of the Library’s collection of materials. Initiates search for materials claimed “returned.”
- Identifies damaged materials and follows appropriate action.
- Routes materials to proper branch locations. Inspects condition of library materials for cleaning or withdrawal.
- Assesses fees as appropriate, using Polaris record sets as needed.
- Receives, processes, sorts and prepares materials for shelving.
- Assists in weeding and withdrawing items.
- Changes materials from new and express to regular collections.
- Performs shelf reading, shifts materials, and performs Page duties as necessary.
- Provides exceptional customer service to internal and external customers using the Library District’s Great Expectations customer service model.
- Demonstrates respect for customers and fellow staff, and fosters a collaborative team environment.
- Provides direct public service to customers by having an understanding of available library services.
- Assists customers with library downloads.
- Upholds District service standards and participates fully as a MCLD Citizen. Adheres to Library District policies and procedures.
- Complies with the Maricopa County Code of Ethics.
- Participates in goal setting with supervisor; updates and maintains skills, as necessary.
- Participates fully in all meetings.
- Demonstrates timely attendance and completion of work.
- Maintains personal and professional development.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
All candidates will be subject to a post-offer, pre-employment background check.