Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona asked local kids to create their best recipes for a healthy and tasty side dish and boy did they deliver!
This year’s finalists include kids from Laveen, Scottsdale, Tucson, Surprise and Whitman.
Now it’s up to the public to decide which side dish looks the yummiest and determine the grand-prize winner by voting online at www.walkonaz.com.
· Marion Colum – a 10-year-old from Paseo Pointe Elementary School in Laveen for his Healthy Salad, chock full of delicious and nutrition-packed veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes and carrots.
· David Hummert – a 9-year-old from Sonoran Sky Elementary School in Scottsdale who combined pasta with green vegetables like broccolini and zucchini to concoct Broccolini Pasta.
· Katherine Tirrito – a 10-year-old from St. Michael’s School in Tucson who created the imaginative Portobello Pizza.
· Nate Walker – a 10-year-old from Imagine Rosefield in Surprise for his creation, Carrots Galore, complete with flavorful ingredients like carrots, green onions and dill.
· Hannah White – a 12-year-old from Abeka Academy in Wittman who invented the protein-rich, Hannah’s Deviled-guac Eggs
Voting will take place between now and Feb. 15. The grand-prize winner will be announced on or around Feb. 18. The top vote-getter will receive a new bike and safety accessories.
The goal of the Walk On! Kids Cooking Challenge is to inspire healthy cooking and eating among Arizona’s children and their families. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona understands that building healthy eating habits for children helps combat the alarming childhood obesity rate in Arizona.