For Officer Recruits
The written exam will be administered on the following dates:
- January 20, 2017, at 2:00 PM – Registration Open
- February 17, 2017, at 2:00 PM
- March 17, 2017, at 2:00 PM
- April 14, 2017, at 2:00 PM
- May 19, 2017, at 2:00 PM
- June 16, 2017 , at 2:00 PM
- January 21,2017, at 8:00 AM
- February 18, 2017, at 8:00 AM
- March 18, 2017, at 8:00 AM
- April 15, 2017, at 8:00 AM
- May 20, 2017, at 7:00 AM
- June 17, 2017, at 7:00 AM
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Active Duty Military Personnel and Veterans
- Women in Law Enforcement
- Police Officer Lateral Transfers
- Out of State Applicants
- Salary and Benefits
How to Start Your Career with the Phoenix Police Department
STEP 1: Apply Online
- Apply online (dates, times and locations are listed)
STEP 2: The Written Test
Qualified applicants will receive a letter inviting them to the written test. Note: Applicants will not be admitted to the test without a photo ID.
STEP 3: Physical Agility Assessment
Offered only to those who successfully pass the written test. The test will be administered at the Arizona Law Enforcement Academy.
STEP 4: Background Questionnaire Investigation & Interview
The AZPOST background packet is given to those who successfully complete both the written and physical agility assessments. The packet must be completed by the applicant and returned to the Personnel and Employee Development Bureau for review. Qualified applicants are contacted a short time later (1-4 weeks) to set-up the initial interview. Applicants will now be required to bring a completed resume to their first interview.
620 West Washington St., Suite #107
Phoenix, AZ 85003
STEP 5: Polygraph Examination
Applicants will be given a polygraph examination (lie detector test) administered by a trained, professional examiner. The test will confirm information noted on the applicant’s background investigation packet.
STEP 6: Psychological Test
Applicants will be evaluated by a licensed psychologist.
STEP 7: Medical Examination
Applicants will undergo a complete medical examination given by a licensed physician.
STEP 8: Controlled Substance Screening
Applicants will be required to submit to a urinalysis at some point in the hiring process.