A family’s home on Mummy View Drive in Coyote Springs went up in flames on Thursday afternoon, and officials say the blaze was accidentally started by a plumber.
The residence was heavily damaged in the fire, which began around 3:30 pm. When first responders from Central Arizona Fire and Medical Authority (CAFMA) arrived at the scene, they observed heavy smoke coming from the fully engulfed attic.
According to a news release, the fire was accidentally sparked by a plumber who was sweating copper pipes in the kitchen. The fire moved rapidly through the walls and up into the attic. Thankfully, all occupants made it out safely.
The straw hay bales, stucco exterior and drywall interior making up the home’s outside walls made it challenging for firefighters to put out smoldering flames. Crews were on the scene until midnight, helping the occupants retrieve their personal belongings and putting out hot spots and hidden fires within the walls.
The Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, Prescott Regional Communications Center, Arizona Crisis Team volunteers and American Red Cross helped provide support and resources during the incident.