Fire Department Investigating Possible Toxic Gasses From Aquarium Coral

Fire Department Investigating Possible Toxic Gasses From Aquarium Coral

A scary incident involving possible toxic gases happened Wednesday evening, May 16.

The Tucson Fire Department says six people became sick at an area home, and they believe the toxins came from a group of live coral within a fish tank. According to a statement from TFD on Thursday, May 17, the fire department was not called to the residence near West Valencia Road and I-19 at the time of the initial incident. Six people from the home were treated at a local hospital.

Many people don’t realize that some live coral can cause harm if it has palytoxins in it. Some coral species have liquid palytoxins that seep out when people touch the coral or cut it. This exposure can cause shortness of breath, facial swelling and extreme chest pain. That’s why all the individuals exposed needed to seek medical attention.


Editor’s Notes

Publish your Community News: We want your local news, business promotions, opinions, press releases, etc. Learn more about My Local News - Arizona.
Please note that My Local News does not fact check or edit Article Contributor's content. Per our terms and conditions Authors are entirely respnsible for use of any non authorized copyrighted images
MLN Arizona Google Analytics 2020 YTD
185,708 Users
642,218 Page Views
5:22 Average Session Duration
136,810 Subscribers


No posts to display