Looking for the best spot to retire, but don’t want to be surrounded by senior citizens? Many individuals and couples are retiring younger and younger and are looking for new spots that let them live the way they want to live, without slowing down. Here’s a list of eight new spots that might not be on your traditional retirement radar, because they’re great locations to start your next stage of life – on your own terms and speed. They all offer great weather, unique community and much less traffic that big city living.
1. Sarasota, Fla. (60 miles south of Tampa) https://www.visitsarasota.com Imagine living life on the water in historic Sarasota. Boasting one of Florida’s best downtowns, Sarasota has eclectic neighborhoods loaded with character and a wide variety of arts and cultural offerings. Relaxing on the beach, golfing in the middle of the day, or celebrating downtown are all options in Sarasota.
2. Prescott, Ariz. (120 miles north of Phoenix) is one of the coolest towns in the nation. The beautiful Talking Rock neighborhood https://talkingrockaz.com/ is about 20 minutes from downtown Prescott’s great bars, shopping and live music. This means you get the best of ranch living and wide-open spaces, but have the option of excitement close by. Talking Rock is a guard gated master-planned community with move-in ready homes, custom lots on an 18-hole Championship Jay Morrish Golf Course, as well as two- to 10- acre home sites available. Other perks include a fitness center, yoga classes, resort-style pool, dog park, community garden, bocce ball, whiskey society, wine dinners and weekly hikes and adventures.
3. Greenville, S.C. (100 miles southwest of Charlotte) https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/meetings/why-greenville/
Greenville’s interesting downtown, neighborhoods, colleges and arts community keep it exciting for retirees. The town itself has about 67,000 people, but the metro area is home to about 1.4 million. Great weather, friendly neighbors and affordable housing are additional retirement benefits.
4. Mariposa in Rio Rancho, New Mexico (20 miles north of Albuquerque) https://www.liveinmariposa.com/ Not a traditional retirement community, Mariposa offers those looking to enjoy the next stage of life surrounded by the beauty of New Mexico with hundreds of hiking, biking and running trails. Nestled in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains in Rio Rancho and located just north of Albuquerque, there are endless options for entertainment, outdoor activities, shopping and dining, museums, hot air balloon rides, and parks and monuments. Mariposa is not age-restricted.
5. Marble Falls, Texas (50 miles northwest of Austin) https://www.marblefallstx.gov/– Close enough to the excitement of Austin, but far enough away from the traffic. Marble Falls is nestled in the hill and lake country just west of the city. Great restaurants and shopping downtown, and space to enjoy your retirement on your terms. Charming festivals, events and arts to enjoy as well. The Gregg Ranch community will be offering new homes just south of downtown.
6. Santa Fe, N.M. https://santafe.org This unique mountain town at 7,000 feet with 70,000 residents is renowned for its art and culture. Santa Fe is a magical, exuberant, colorful destination at any time of year. The legendary history and eclectic residents will fascinate and inspire you.
7. New Braunfels, Texas (35 miles northeast of San Antonio) https://www.playinnewbraunfels.com New Braunfels is the spot to enjoy with rich German heritage (and food), festivals, affordable housing and great access to premium healthcare. Many argue that this town of more than 57,000 provides the best lifestyle for the money for retirees looking to call South central Texas home.
8. Cadence at Gateway in Mesa, Ariz. (Phoenix area) http://cadenceaz.com/ Top-rated master-planned community in Mesa, Ariz. Resort-style amenities for an affordable HOA of $125 a month. Not age restricted, instead different neighborhoods focus on different stages of life – empty nesters or retirees enjoy wine by the fire pit, while a nearby neighborhood offers swings and sports fields for growing families. Spring training baseball is just a short drive away, and the community is conveniently located near Phoenix Mesa Gateway Airport.
Location that give you access to both leisure and excitement continue to grow in popularity, as well as small-towns with big amenities. Affordable housing, access to quality health care and a nearby airport also top retirement location lists.