Your Neighborhood Auto Repair Professionals (NARPRO) remind consumers that, with proper maintenance, many cars can safely and reliably make it through 250,000-plus.
Handling repairs when you’re financially strapped
· Get quotes from at least two reputable mechanics.
· Determine what repair(s) can wait. Focus on the highest priorities, like safety issues.
· Do it yourself. Maybe you don’t want to tackle an oil change but changing an air filter is one of the easiest replacements on your car. Ask your trusted mechanic for other suggestions and check out online tutorials, but always do your research and follow all safety precautions.
To keep your car running longer while minimizing expenses:
Pay attention to your car
· If a warning light popped on, note it. Along with unusual sounds or smells. Details will help a mechanic fine-tune their diagnosis.
· Keep asking questions until you understand what needs to be fixed.
· A good mechanic will give you a lesson on how parts work together.
Develop a relationship
· Think beyond the current maintenance appointment or repair.
· Long-term relationships with a reputable repair shop can build trust and help you avoid headaches down the road.
· Having your vehicle’s history will help a mechanic provide a road map for future repairs, which can help you plan.
Focus on maintenance
· If you don’t want to review your owner’s manual, ask a reputable repair shop to provide recommended major service intervals for your car.
· Preventive care and maintenance will extend the life of your car and ultimately save you big bucks. It’s almost always cheaper to take care of your car than buy a new one.
NARPRO (Neighborhood Auto Repair Professionals): The Neighborhood Auto Repair Professionals (NARPRO) helps car owners find skilled and honest car repair shops. NARPRO only recommends independent, family-owned, full-service auto repair shops that have passed 26 rigorous tests. Visit www.NARPRO.com to find recommended shops near work or home. NARPRO is the easiest way to find an honest mechanic in the Valley.