Spring break is here and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport wants to make sure passengers are prepared to travel during our busiest month. On a typical day, 120,000 people use the airport, but on its busiest days in March, more than 135,000 passengers fly through Phoenix. Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Friday are the busiest days to travel in March. March 11 is anticipated to be one of the Airport’s busiest days of the entire year.
America’s Friendliest Airport® has these tips to fly with ease when coming to and leaving Phoenix.
Helpful Travel Tips:
- Double-check your bags the night before your flight to make sure you did not pack anything that falls under the TSA Prohibited Items List.
- March is full of activities, including a weekend of NASCAR March 9-11 and Spring Training all month. Make sure your souvenir items are permitted for travel; miniature baseball bats are fun souvenirs but they are prohibited as a carry-on item. Pack them in checked luggage.
- It is better to be early for a flight than late. If you are flying domestically, give yourself a minimum of two hours, and if you are flying internationally, arrive at the airport at least three hours early. Also, be sure to check your flight status with your airline before coming to the airport.
- Before arriving at the airport, check the status of the security wait times at skyharbor.com. Once you get to the airport, review wait times on Sky Harbor’s Flight Information Displays located in each terminal and at the PHX Sky Train® Stations. If your gate is in Terminal 4, you can use any security checkpoint to access your boarding area.
- America’s Friendliest Airport® also has a variety of parking options. Search for parking based on convenience or price by visiting skyharbor.com/FindASpot.
- Save time and up to 26 percent by taking advantage of our Prepaid Discount Parking program up to six months in advance. Reserve a spot in terminal garages or the East Economy garages by visiting skyharbor.com/prepaidparking.
- Tourists and residents can board the PHX Sky Train® at 44th Street and it’s the perfect drop-off or pick-up location. Say goodbye to traffic because you will be riding in the sky for free. The station also has a cell-phone waiting lot that is free of charge. Learn more about riding the PHX Sky Train at skyharbor.com/localsknowWhereToGo.
- Due to the high volume of travelers, it is crucial to reserve a rental car in advance. Whether you are staying in Phoenix or traveling somewhere out-of-state, having a reservation can limit your stress level since vehicles may be limited for walk-up customers.
- Sky Harbor is America’s Tastiest Airport. Whether you are craving a juicy hamburger or a salad, our restaurants provide food that fits everyone’s cravings. Some of our restaurants also have vegetarian, gluten-free, and vegan options as well as kids’ menus. Learn more about the dining options available in your terminal at skyharbor.com/ShopsFoodServices/.
- The Terminal 3 Modernization Project comes with a lot of changes. If you aren’t familiar with our terminal or you haven’t visited the airport in a while, stay in the loop by visiting skyharbor.com/TerminalModernization/getting-to-know-your-new-terminal-3.
- If you have time to spare, visit one of our Airport Museum exhibitions. Each terminal offers exhibitions that feature Arizona artists, including “Art of the Ride” that showcases custom-built motorcycles, paintings and photography. This exhibition is in the Airport Museum Gallery in Terminal 4, Level 3. Find out more at https://skyharbor.com/Museum.
For additional travel tips from America’s Friendliest Airport®, visit skyharbor.com.
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, America’s Friendliest Airport®, has an annual economic impact of more than $38 billion. Every day approximately 1,200 aircraft and more than 120,000 passengers arrive and depart at Sky Harbor. PHX Sky Harbor is funded with Airport revenue. No tax dollars are used to support the Airport.
Submitted by City of Phoenix Aviation Department