Sedona Fire District: Avoid the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

WIXX.com
My Local News Arizona - Advertisement

With the recent tragedy in Parks, AZ we are reminded of the dangers of carbon monoxide in our homes. Sedona Fire District encourages residents to take precautions to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a year round threat, however as temperatures drop, the potential for CO poisonings rise due to the inappropriate use of portable heating units or furnaces that are improperly installed or not working correctly.

CO is a highly poisonous gas produced by burning fuels such as gasoline, natural gas, propane, kerosene, charcoal and wood. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. The risk of illness or death increases with the level of CO in the air and the amount of time exposed. Dangerous CO levels can result when home appliances are not properly maintained or when used incorrectly.

“Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of incomplete combustion,” said Don Arwine, Paramedic with Sedona Fire District, “It is called the silent killer because it is an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas.” The only way to detect CO in your home is by the use of a properly installed and functioning carbon monoxide detector.

“If your home utilizes fuel burning appliances or has an attached garage, you need a CO detector in your house,” stated Arwine.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness.

Since symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think CO poisoning is the cause,” cautioned Arwine.

Anyone who suspects symptoms of CO poisoning should go outside the home or building
without delay and seek prompt medical attention. If a person has collapsed or is not breathing, call 911 for emergency medical assistance immediately from a safer location such as outside or from a neighbor’s home. Children, pregnant women and individuals with heart conditions are most vulnerable.

Tips to help prevent CO poisoning:

 Never use a gas stove or oven to heat the home.
 Never burn charcoal inside a house, garage, vehicle or tent, including in a fireplace.
 Unvented gas, propane or kerosene heaters are NEVER safe to use in enclosed spaces.
 Install and use fuel-burning appliances according to manufacturer instructions, the International
Building Code and the International Fire Code.
 Inspect the exhaust system of each fuel burning appliance every year, including chimneys, flues
and vents. Check for blockage, holes and disconnections.
 Have fuel-burning appliances inspected and serviced annually by a licensed contractor.
 Never leave an automobile running in a garage, even with the garage door open.
 Do not leave the rear window or tailgate of a vehicle open while driving. CO from the exhaust
can be pulled inside the car, van or camper.
 Never use a portable generator or a fuel-powered tool indoors or in other enclosed or partially
enclosed areas.
 Always place portable generators outdoors on a dry surface far away from doors, windows, vents
and air-conditioning equipment that could allow CO to enter. Orient the generator so that it is
placed with the exhaust port pointing away from the home.
 Install battery operated CO alarms or plug-in CO alarms with battery backup inside a house
according to manufacturer’s installation instructions or NFPA (National Fire
Protection Association) 720: Standard for the Installation of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detection
and Warning Equipment.
 Install only CO alarms that meet the UL (Underwriter Laboratories) 2034 or the CSA (Canadian
Standards Association) 6.19 standards.
 Replace CO alarm batteries once a year and test alarms frequently.
 Replace CO alarms every five years or as often as recommended by the alarm manufacturer.

Submitted by Sedona Fire District

Editor’s Notes

Publish your Community News: We want your local news, business promotions, opinions, press releases, etc. Learn more about My Local News - Arizona.
Please note that My Local News does not fact check or edit Article Contributor's content. Per our terms and conditions Authors are entirely respnsible for use of any non authorized copyrighted images
MLN Arizona Google Analytics 2020 YTD
185,708 Users
642,218 Page Views
5:22 Average Session Duration
136,810 Subscribers

MessageToAuthor

Previous articleHale Theatre is Starting the New Year with a Good Laugh
Next articleCabinets and Railing Completely Refurbished in this Tempe House!!
Our Mission Statement To provide relevant and engaging local news to readers throughout Arizona. We depend on our team of professional reporters, and community content contributors (just like you) to produce over twenty weekly newsletters that are read by over 100,000 subscribers. All articles are also posted to community Facebook Pages, Twitter, Linkedin, Google+ and a variety of other social media sites. Whether you want to read about local news, events, entertainment, events, real estate, politics, sports etc. or write about these topics and more; My Local News is one of the fastest growing media outlets in Arizona.