While there are many different local nonprofits to choose from and give back to this holiday season, a local nonprofit with a small but enthusiastic team is experiencing an increased demand for its services and is hoping that Arizonans will choose their organization to give back to this year.
That’s because Arizona is on pace to see nearly 40,000 new cases of cancer and more than 12,500 deaths as a result of more than 22 million cancer screenings being cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“As more individuals impacted by cancer seek our support services, the more funding organizations like ours will need to continue providing emotional and social lifelines,” said Debbie DiCarlo, CEO of Cancer Support Community Arizona, which provides emotional and social support to anyone affected by cancer. “Donations this holiday season, and throughout the year, allow us to provide free programming to cancer patients, their families and caregivers throughout their cancer journey.”
With locations in both Phoenix and Flagstaff, the nonprofit offers more than 100 free programs per month, including support groups, social activities, mind/body therapies (like expressive art and yoga classes), nutritional counseling, and educational seminars. The free programming is available both in-person and virtually and is offered in both English and Spanish.
Here are 12 different ways to give back to Cancer Support Community Arizona this holiday season and throughout the year:
1. Make a one-time or monthly monetary donation online via CSCAZ’s website in the name of a loved one.
2. Hold a fundraiser on your Facebook page to benefit CSCAZ on your birthday.
3. Choose CSCAZ as the nonprofit you would like to support every time you shop on Amazon, at no cost to you. (The nonprofit will receive 0.5% of the purchases you make when you shop using the smile.amazon.com link.)
4. Link your Fry’s grocery store V.I.P. loyalty card to CSCAZ to give back when you grocery shop, at no cost to you. (It’s easy when you enroll in Fry’s Community Rewards. To get started, just sign up with your V.I.P Card and select Cancer Support Community Arizona (AP192). Once you’re enrolled, you’ll earn rewards for CSCAZ every time you shop and use your V.I.P Card.)
5. If your friends and loved ones often ask you for holiday gift ideas, ask them to donate to CSCAZ instead. (Or, if you receive a holiday gift you will not use, consider reselling it and donating the proceeds to CSCAZ.)
6. Clean out your closets, hold a garage sale, and donate the proceeds to CSCAZ.
7. Organize a holiday bake sale to give back to CSCAZ. (Get the kids and grandkids involved!)
8. Make an end-of-year donation to CSCAZ and get a dollar-for-dollar credit on your Arizona state tax liability. (CSCAZ’s QCO Code is 20821.)
9. Redeem your credit card rewards for cash back. (When the funds land in your account, donate them to CSCAZ.)
10. Investigate whether your employer matches any of the charitable donations you make and inquire about your company organizing a fundraising campaign to benefit CSCAZ.
11. Donate stock(s). (The gift of stock is a powerful way to support CSCAZ’s work. While this giving strategy has many obvious benefits, no doubt the most important is the satisfaction of knowing your support helps people and families impacted by cancer.)
12. Include CSCAZ in your Will, Trust, or other estate plans, making a powerful statement to ensure hope is provided for years to come.
Since 1999, Cancer Support Community Arizona (CSCAZ) has been providing emotional and social support for anyone impacted by cancer. The nonprofit organization offers more than 100 free programs per month, including support groups, social activities, mind/body therapies, nutritional counseling and educational seminars that are specially designed to support cancer patients, their families, and caregivers. Most of Cancer Support Community Arizona’s programs are funded by individual and corporate donors. To learn more about CSCAZ, visit cscaz.org.