The Arizona Triathlon will be held Sunday, April 30. The best way to get to the event is by way of Priest Drive, Rural Road, or Loop 101 to University Drive. From University Drive, there is access to parking in the downtown. To get around the event, use Priest Drive or Rural Road for north/south access across Rio Salado Parkway. There will be no north/south access across Rio Salado Parkway using Mill Avenue. East/West traffic should avoid using Rio Salado Parkway or Curry Road/Washington Street, use University Drive or McDowell Road as alternate.
The following street restrictions and closures have been identified; however, others could be put in place to address public safety concerns that arise during the event. The information provided by the City of Tempe is for public information purposes only. All restrictions/closures are based on preliminary assessments and can be increased or decreased in scope without notice.
The following streets will be restricted or closed April 30 from 5 a.m. until 2 p.m.:
- Ash Avenue closed northbound between US Airways parking garage (just north of 3rd Street) and Rio Salado Parkway. Access to the parking garage maintained.
- Eastbound Rio Salado Parkway restricted to one lane between Priest Drive and Hardy Drive.
- Eastbound Rio Salado Parkway closed between Hardy Drive and Mill Avenue.
- Eastbound Rio Salado Parkway restricted to one lane between Mill Avenue and Rural Road. Note: All northbound traffic at intersecting streets and driveways will be required to turn right (east). No lefts or through movements permitted along this stretch of Rio Salado Parkway.
- Westbound Rio Salado Parkway restricted to one lane between Rural Road and Mill Avenue.
- Westbound Rio Salado Parkway closed at Mill Avenue. All westbound traffic must turn right onto northbound Mill Avenue.
- Westbound Rio Salado Parkway closed between Mill Avenue and Priest Drive.
- Southbound Mill Avenue restricted to one lane between Rolling Hills Golf Course and Washington Street/Curry Road. All southbound traffic must turn right onto westbound Washington Street.
- Mill Avenue closed southbound between Washington Street/Curry Road and 2nd Street.
- Mill Avenue closed northbound between Rio Salado Parkway and Washington Street/Curry Road. All northbound traffic must turn right onto eastbound Rio Salado Parkway.
- Curry Road closed westbound at College Avenue. All westbound traffic must turn right onto northbound College Avenue or left onto southbound College Avenue.
- Southbound College Avenue closed between McKellips Road and Curry Road.
- Hardy Drive closed northbound between 1st Street and Rio Salado Parkway. Access to the Tempe Center for the Arts will be granted on a limited basis.
- Northbound Priest Drive restricted to one lane between Rio Salado Parkway and Washington Street.
- Washington Street closed eastbound between Priest Drive and Mill Avenue. All eastbound traffic required to turn north or south onto Priest Drive. Access to “The Lofts” apartment complex will be granted on a limited basis and will only be accessible by U-turn from westbound Washington Street to eastbound Washington Street at Center Parkway.
- Center Parkway closed southbound between Washington Street and westbound SR202 exit-ramp.
- All traffic exiting the SR202 eastbound at Priest Drive will be required to turn south onto Priest Drive.
- All traffic exiting the SR202 westbound at Center Parkway/Priest Drive will be required to turn northbound onto Center Parkway and then detoured onto westbound Washington Street.
- There will be no access to the SR202 eastbound on-ramp from Priest Drive or from Center Parkway.
The following bus routes will be detoured from the start of service until 2 p.m.:
- 48 Northbound: Regular route on Rio Salado Pkwy. to Priest Dr.; south on Priest Dr. to University Dr.; east on University Dr. to Mill Ave; north on Mill Ave. to 5th St.; east on 5th St. to Tempe Transportation Center.
- 48 Southbound: Regular route west on 5th St. to Mill Ave.; south on Mill Ave to University Dr.; west on University Dr. to Priest Dr.; north on Priest Dr. to Rio Salado Pkwy.; west on Rio Salado Pkwy. to resume regular route.
- Orbit Earth Eastbound: From Tempe Transportation Center; east on 5th St./Veterans Way to University Dr.; east on University Dr. to Rural Rd./Scottsdale Rd. to resume regular route at Weber Dr.
- Orbit Earth Westbound: Regular route south on Scottsdale Rd. to Weber Dr.; continue south on Scottsdale Rd. to University Dr.; west on University Dr. to Veterans Way; northwest on Veterans Way/5th St. to Tempe Transportation Center.
To find the best parking and access options for any individual business on Mill Avenue, please call the business.
Source: City of Tempe